RTMC, National Rebuilding Day, and COVID-19March 17, 2020
To all Rebuilding Together Muscatine County Volunteers and Family,
As we approach our annual event, National Rebuilding Day (NRD), scheduled to take place on Saturday, April 25, we must use caution. We are closely monitoring recommendations from Iowa Gov. Reynolds as to how we can help reduce the chances of spreading the Coronavirus. At this point, all area restaurants, bars, and places of entertainment have been closed to prevent gathering. Area schools are closed for the next month, and many other businesses may soon follow.
It is with the safety of our volunteer family, as well as our clients that the advisory board has implemented the following changes for NRD 2020:
- Work will only proceed with the homeowner’s approval, which may be removed due to increased risk as time passes. If the homeowner is uncomfortable, we will reschedule for a later date.
- All volunteers will receive a medical screening on the day work is to be completed. Volunteers who are found to pose a potential risk will be thanked, provided a donut, and sent home.
- Screenings will include temperature and a questionnaire, as well as any additional information the medical team deems necessary.
- Workgroups will be assigned in groups of 6-8 to accommodate the under 10 per gathering recommendation. This number will include the House Captain.
- Volunteers will be assigned a check-in time, group check-ins will be staggered to allow for medical screenings, and to accommodate the small gathering requirements.
- No volunteers will have direct contact with any homeowner at any time.
- No volunteer will enter the resident at any time. All of the approved projects are accessibility ramps, therefore the work will be outside.
- All ramps will be cleaned and sanitized before the workgroup leaving for the day.
- All of these regulations are subject to change as more information is made available, including the potential to cancel or postpone the projects.
Due to the changes that are being set in place for 2020, our NRD will look different than in years past. Additionally, our volunteer force will need to accommodate. Within our smaller workgroups, we would like to ask returning volunteers and skilled builders who are willing to assist when needed.
For more information on how to volunteer, or with questions over the procedures in place, visit https://rebuildingtogethermuscatine.org/
Thank you for your understanding and overwhelming support over the years,
-RTMC Advisory Board